* Rick Macdonald ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [020502 15:31]:

> smail keeps dropping off my woody system and I have to continually restart
> it.
>
> Rather than deal with the problem I thought I'd just replace it. A newer
> woody system seems to have exim. The system with smail has been running
> Debian _before_ the first offical release (buzz I think).
>
> Should I switch to exim, or sendmail?
>
> If it matters, I run fetchmail/procmail to get mail from various places. The
> mail goes into maildirs which I read with squirrelmail and apache with
> courier-imap. I think smail started having problems when I added
> procmail/imap to my system.
>
> I've never tried to replace a package that has many packages that require
> it. What do I tell apt to get it to remove smail and install its
> replacement?

apt-get install exim

That should take care of everything. In fairness, I haven't used
sendmail in quite some time, so I may not have the most balanced
perspective on the issue of which MTA to use. Exim is a breeze to set
up, can do any "powerful" thing I've ever wanted it to, and is well-
documented and -supported.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml