On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 10:17:20PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 12:59:38PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > >
> > > Try valgrind (http://devel-home.kde.org/~sewardj/, or packaged in
> > > unstable).
> >
> > valgrind sounds nice, I have not had a chance to play with it enough,
> > tried it about 2 months back.
>
> I'm informed by the guy at work who's been spending a lot of time
> working on and with valgrind that "yesterday's version is old".

valgrind is progressing rapidly, but if all you want is memory leak
checking (and don't use thread stuff which isn't fully supported) it works
beautifully.  Or rather, I should say that it worked beautifully for me,
finding about three memory leaks.  The hardest part to using it is
understanding the output and writing the suppressions file, but for memory
leak testing you don't need to do either.  The memory leak output is very
easy to understand and read.  Only catch is that valgrind (especially at
startup) poses a major performance hit, because it does so much more than
look for memory leaks.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/