On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 22:06, Craig Dickson wrote:
> I cannot reproduce your symptoms. Whether I type your code in at the
> shell prompt or run it in a script, it always behaves correctly.
>
> You don't say what shell you're using (or what version); my tests were
> performed using the version of bash 2.05a.0(1)-release from the Sid
> package bash_2.05a-11.

GNU bash, version 2.05a.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)

as returned by bash --version

I just tried something else and now it's even stranger. If I don't
specify a shell in the script, it works correctly. However using
#!/bin/sh or #!/bin/bash results in errors. That's even stranger than
the exit code being returned incorrectly.

-Alex