Hi.

Last night I tried to install the realplayer using the 'realplayer'
package in unstable.  As instructed by the package help, I downloaded
the 'RealPlayer 8 Basic' RPM from real.com, and let the package
install it.  (It did this with no complaints.)

I then tried to run it from the command line like this:
$ realplay

The cpu and disk worked for a while, and then the shell prompt
returned.  Further attempts to run 'realplay' or 'realplayer' at the
prompt returned immediately without noticeable effect.

I un-installed the package (with apt-get remove --purge), and
reinstalled.  I then tried running 'realplay' while monitoring the
system with 'top' in another window.  The first time I ran 'realplay'
I saw several window manager processes rise to the top of the CPU
usage stack (fvwm, fluxbox, etc.), and then nothing.  Further
invocations of realplay had no discernible effect.

Has anyone seen results like this before?  I am running on a
Debian/unstable system under Gnome 1.4 with sawfish as the window
manager.  I do have ESD installed, but turning it off didn't seem to
make any difference.

Thanx.

Dan