I have a printer which runs on a network connection.

I scanned for ports and found ports associated with lpd (515), cups (631), and jetdirect (9100?) and was trying to configure a cups client.

I installed the following packages:
a2ps
cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client
foomatic-bin
foomatic-db

I tried to set the /etc/cups/client.conf file to include the IP address for the printer. That didn't work.

I tried to use foomatic-configure and it complained that there was no printer.conf file. This seems to show up under the cupsys package, but installing that does nothing for me.

So I tried configuring it a direct configuration:

foomatic-configure -s cups -n remoteraw -c socket://192.168.0.100:631/
foomatic-configure -s cups -D -n remoteraw

And nothing, so I removed it and tried:

foomatic-configure -s direct -n remoteraw -c socket://192.168.0.100:631/ foomatic-configure -s direct -D -n remoteraw

And nothing...

--
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
                -- Cartoon caption