> Sorry to seem stupid here, but it may be an accurate assessment %-)
>
> Anyhow, this looks like a fairly scary process when I may wreck the
> system and have no idea what I am doing (kid at the wheel of a
> steamroller syndrome... what's this button do?).
>
> Any suggestions?

it is a little scary the first few times.

lsmod as root will show you the modules you have loaded right now.  That should
help.  I am going to assume you have the kernel source.

(the '#' means a root prompt)

# apt-get install libncurses5-dev kernel-package alsa-source
# cd /usr/src/
# tar zxvf alsa-source.tar.gz
# cd linux
# make menuconfig
# make-kpkg --revision=5:mine.1 kernel_image
# make-kpkg modules_image

Then install the debs that appear in /usr/src.

make menuconfig is easy to use and does not involve X.  Read each item and its
associated help.  It will probably take you two or three hours the first time.
The actual kernel compile can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours.