On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:32:57AM -0700, Soul Computer wrote:
| On Sat, 18 May 2002 14:51:46 -0700 Paul Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| | Mozilla displays this message perfectly and both levels of ">" are in
| | the message source here.

Both?  There's 3 (or more) levels of indents there with only 2 levels
of '>'.

| ==================================================
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| ==================================================
|
| Paul Scott:
|
| It would seem that the Earthlink Webmail is very
| spartan.  It has no fine control over the system,
| and refuses to set 'word wrapping,' let alone
| quote specifications.  I try to set a spacer
| between the previous message and my own, but it
| seems that it wasn't enough, before.  I have since
| expanded the spacer in hopes of providing a
| clearer email.

It isn't really clearer.  It rather makes it harder to figure out on
some terminals (think of limited screen real-estate).  The normal mode
of quoting is to indent it with a delimiter.  When scanning the left
side of these messages to find the beginning of your text, the qouted
text is found first (and appears not quoted) and that is what makes it
hard to read.  MS Outhouse is the same way (by default).

| As for possibly fixing the problem, we may all have to jump on
| Earthlink to make their webmail more functional.

You go do that, or get a decent mailer.  Earthlink provides an
SMTP smarthost, don't they?  Configure your (debian) box to use it and
then you can use a real program like mutt :-).

HTH,
-D

--

Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing.