High,

Sorry for the somewhat late reply, but I don't read my mail very well
anmore :-).

On 18 May 2002, Jord Swart wrote:

> All,
>
> Everything seem to be working perfectly (almost). Somehow as soon as
> some sound is made, it produces a lot of noise. I have no idea where it
> comes from or how I can turn it off. I've been playing with the mixer
> settings but it will not help.
>
> Anyone experiences here, or some suggestions?

Yes. I have the same audiosystem as you (with the same boxes) and it all
worked pretty well with alsa 0.5. I had tried 0.9 once, but it just did no
t work right, so I went back to 0.5. About a month ago I tried 0.9 again,
but I only could get sound out of one speaker and encountered other
problems, so I went back to the OSS driver, which works fine now. Perhaps
one day I will give alsa a try again when I use kernel 2.5 (alsa is
integrated there).

> Second question: does anyone know how to turn on my nice cambridge
> soundworks 5.1 system. At the moment sound only comes from the front two
> speakers. It would be nice if it used the other three too.

With alsa, use alsamix. You can also try to set the sound registers
manually, but I did not succeed this time. I got back to the OSS driver
and use kmix and got sound out of all four speakers. My center speaker is
still silent.

Hopefully that helps something.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98