A newcomer to Debian would like some help, please.

I have been using Linux for some time (mainly the various versions of SuSE)
and would like to try Debian. However, I can't get it to install.

The version is Potato and I am using three Official i386 binary disks. It is
on its own hard drive, no dual booting. I install from disk1.

All is well at first, and here is what I get when it starts going wrong.

(A list of packages scrolls through, too quickly and too long to read)

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1). Some errors occurred
while unpacking. I'm going to configure the packages that were installed.
This may result in duplicate errors or errors caused by missing dependances.
This is OK, only the errors above this message are imported. Please fix them
and run Install again. Enter to continue. (I pressed Enter)

(I then set Default paper and configured WVdial.)

Setting up ports.

Setting up x-server-vga16. No default x server previously set, or previous
default removed. Do you want to make the VGA16 server the default? (I
selected Yes).

Do you want to create the XFree86 configuration file? (Yes)

X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111 (This line is repeated
ten times)
The /etc/X11/XF86 config file was not created.
Unable to communicate with Xserver.

And there is stops! Pressing Enter just brings up the multiple "X11Trans --"
error message again. I have tried installing Debian several times, but each
time it just gets as far as this.

The only way out is to do a soft reboot with the computer's reboot button.

When I reboot and log in, it's in text mode. If I try to get into graphics
mode, I get the message:

Could not find config file.
Tried:
/etc/XF86Config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.debian
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config

Fatal server error.

Sorry this is such a long posting, but I wanted to include as much information
as possible.

Please could someone tell me what is going wrong and how to overcome it? In
simple Debian-newbie language, please!

I can't find an answer in either the archives or the installation manual.

Many thanks in anticipation

Keith