Can anyone tell me what file is Aptitude's extended state file?  I have a
stock install of Debian/woody on a machine (installed from the vanilla
boot-floppies, then internet).  Here is the problem:

1) I run aptitude as a normal user.
2) I press 'u' or 'g' or something else that requires root access, so I
   enter the root password.
3) Aptitude gives me an error message,
   "W: Can't open Aptitude extended state file"
   but when I click OK, everything seems to work properly.

I don't get this message if I su to root before running aptitude.  It
isn't a major problem, but it _is_ very annoying.

FTR, I have tried doing an "apt-get --purge remove aptitude" followed by
"apt-get install aptitude" ; I have also done "rm -rf ~/.aptitude" .
Neither helped with the error message.  This is very strange because on
other machines in the same cluster with the same Debian installation, the
message never appears.

If it makes any difference, my home directory is NFS-mounted from a
different (also Debian/woody i386) machine; could that be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Kevin McCarty                Physics Department
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       Princeton University