On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 08:10:18AM -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
> I notice that the man pages and info help cover far
> less topics than on my old RedHat system.
>
> On RedHat I had to run a thing called "makewhatis" to
> unpack and install all the man pages.

makewhatis on Red Hat doesn't unpack and install man pages. It just
builds a database so that the apropos and whatis commands work; Debian's
equivalent of this is mandb. However, you should rarely have to run
either of those manually, and you certainly don't have to run them just
to read man pages.

> Is there something like that I haven't done to get all
> the man and info help pages installed?

Chances are you haven't installed the packages containing them. If you
give us specific examples of what you're missing, we can help with
directions.

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]