I am bumping my head up against the requirement imposed by Tk and exmh
that the xhosts lists be empty.

Apart from the option of recompiling Tk, which I have been rather
strongly advised against:

   Is there *no* way other than xhosts I can use to open up access to
   X on the local display to other (local) users, that is, users other
   than the one that initially logged in on xdm?

(In the past, I would open an xterm and ssh into another local user's
account; then I would launch an X app from that command line...but
that was with a usable xhosts list.)

Best,

--
Bob Bernstein                             http://ruptured-duck.com