On Wednesday 06 July 2005 21:42, Elmer E. Dow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> I'm leaning toward using apt (and maybe occasionally using Synaptic)
> rather then Aptitude.

ITYM: "apt-get".  apt-get (and its cohorts), Synaptic, and aptitude are all
based on the Advanced Package Tool, a/k/a APT.

> Given my use, shouldn't the simplicity of apt be adequate over the long
> haul?

apt-get is a very good tool.

Synaptic is a very good tool and has a nicer user interface.

aptitude is a very good tool; it's doesn't have the nice GUI of Synaptic but
it's more powerful.  Also, it can be used like apt-get from the command
line.

> Is using deborphan and -- purge just as effective as Aptitude's cleaning
> methods?

I ran deborphan for the first time yesterday.  It found some packages I
didn't need and I purged them with aptitude.  aptitude didn't think the
packages were unused because I had installed them manually.  No tool does
everything.

> If so, then what's Aptitude's advantage?

You might install the aptitude-doc package and read about all the magical
things aptitude can do.

> Or is this just a matter of preference?

Yes.