On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 21:54 -0500, Josh Battles wrote:
> David Clymer said:
> > Please remember to reply to the list, not to the individual. I
> > will reply on-list so that everyone can (hopefully) benefit
> > from our exchange.
>
> Sorry about that.

> >> My username and password is rejected.  My Debian desktop picked up almost
> >> instantly a folder called "shared on beer" (beer is the server hostname)
> >> and
> >> popped it on the desktop when I booted.  I'm able to see that same folder
> >> in
> >> Win2k but not access it from either OS.
> >
> > For each computer (NT,2k,XP) that logs on to your domain, you will need to
> > have set up a trust account:
> >
> > $ adduser --home /dev/null --shell /bin/false --ingroup machine
> > --force-badname --no-create-home --disabled-login --gecos "Machine Trust
> > Account" MYCOMPUTER$
> > $ smbpasswd -m -a MYCOMPUTER
>
> So, if I'm going to add a user called "cletusjones" to my box called "beer"
> it would go something like this:
>
> adduser cletusjones --home /dev/null --shell /bin/false --ingroup machine
> --force-badname --no-create-home --disables-login --gecos "Machine Trust
> Account" BEER

no. you add the user account and machine accounts separately, and the
unix computer account must end with a dollar sign. As per my examples.

> and:
>
> smbpasswd ****** -m -a BEER
>
> correct?

no.

in unix, most commands have a manual page explaining their options,
syntax, etc. please read the man page to find out what is wrong with
your usage. type:

$ man smbpasswd

> > for each user that logs on or accesses shares, you need to have a unix and
> > samba account:
> >
> > $ adduser --shell /bin/false --disabled-login userbob
> > $ gpasswd -a userbob samba
> > $ smbpasswd -a userbob
>
> For these statements, I'm replacing "userbob" with my usernames and that
> should just be it, yes?

yes.

You might find this helpful:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/