Am 15.07.2005 um 07:09 schrieb Mitchell Laks:

> I noticed that never happened in the old days  when I ran redhat/fedora. They
> did away with this routine fsck (sometime around 6.2 -> 7 or 7.2 transition
> as I recall) when they switched from ext2 to ext3 as I recall.
>
> This occurs during /etc/rcS.d/S30check-fs entry
> entry during boot, right after file system mount, I believe.
>
> Is this neccessary on debian if we have journaled file systems? After all it
> made sense for ext2 but do we need this for ext3?

The regular fsck is absolutely independent of journaling.  The
effect of journaling is, that you do not have to scan your
_complete_ file system for corruptions after your system has been
restarted without closing the file systems properly.  The file
system driver itself can "replay" the journal on mount time, which
means it only has to finish or roll back those transactions that
were not cleanly finished.

A journaling file system will not and cannot protect you from any
other corruptions.  This means that a regular fsck is still the
(only) way to detect corruptions caused by software bugs, hardware
errors, etc.

I've made the experience that a regular fsck will usually take place
exactly at a time when I do not _have_ the time to wait for it.  So
I usually disable this feature and do a planned fsck from time to
time.

Regards,
Dennis

--
Send personal mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] only.  Off-list
mails to [EMAIL PROTECTED] will not reach me.