On 15 Jul 2005, Felix Natter wrote:

> it is my task to create a complete backup+restore method of our woody-based
> web- and mailserver. The problem is: how can I restore /lib and
> /usr/lib/*.so* in a running system? Whenever I tried it (tar --overwrite)
> the system halted (IIRC a statically compiled tar didn't help).

you can NEVER overwrite a file in a running system, unless it is an
identical file
        - you can replace a running system's kernel but that too
        is tricky and fun biz

the problem also apllies to all binaries in /bin /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/bin
and eanything else in the sytem

if you want to restore into a running system ... and you can do it
properly, you'd be an instant millionaire ??

----

best way to do a "complete backup and restore"
        - rsync the master system into the slave box except for ip# and
        hostname ( the salve system is alway ready to take over since
        the last backup )
                - backup too often and the original problem that
                cause the master to die will propagate and kill
                the slave too ( ie.. you'd need to know why your master
                died in the first palce )

                - rsync is dumb ... it will propagate failures

        - do overlapping full and overlapping incremental backups
        just in case yesterdays full backup failed and you dont notice
        it till 2 weeks or months later when the system dies

        - gazillion "do it this way or that way" suggestions
        depending on who you ask

- big questions ...
        - how time is lost if the "backup and/or restore" didnt work
                - backups should be 100% automated and self correcting
                and self checking  ( no time to run .. just a few hours
                to setup properly )

                - soemthing else is seriously wrong if you have to
                "restore"

        - how much $$$ is lost
                $$$ lost due to crashes should be more than say 3x-5x
                of the costs of all the preventative backup and restore
                methodology

        - how long to get back to "normal operations"
                ( should be under 5 min )

c ya
alvin