On Sunday 17 July 2005 09:53 am, Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear Carl:
>
> I am only reporting what the author says. I installed K3b from apt-get.
> When I tried to use it, I got this message. After being told that I should
> run K3b as user, I switched to user, but as soon as I tried to run it as
> user, I got the author's admonition again. So, to be on the safe side, I'm
> going to stick with his recommendation.

When cdrecord was installed, you were asked if you wanted to add the setuid
bit or not. It defaults to not. If you had set it, users in the 'cdrom' group
would have access to cdrecord as necessary, as noted during the install. If
the k3b setup program (that you are being prompted to follow) doesn't allow
you to set it, you can run dpkg-reconfigure cdrecord and set it there. Then,
users in the 'cdrom' group can burn a cd without hassle.

--

...Rob
Return address is obfuscated.