On Sunday 17 July 2005 23:40, Mike wrote:
> Does anybody know why debian doesn't detect SATA optical drives?
<...>
> (I didn't post my system logs, lspci etc because it doesn't matter....
> i'd be suprised if anybody responds to this one either)

SUPRISE!

See somebody did answer. Now peel yourself off the floor and lets continue...

I doubt very much that this is a problem with linux and relates more to your
SATA controller chipset. Most chipsets assume that you'd only connect a
harddrive and therefore only support harddrives.

What is your SATA controller chipset? If you've got more than one kind have
you tried on the other?

BTW, I know this to be true because I wanted to buy a plextor CD drive and
found out it was incompatible with my motherboards SATA chipsets :-(

--
Robert "roach" Spencer
Pietermaritzburg