On Monday 18 July 2005 07:43 pm, Doofus wrote:
> The debian reference manual says there are two ways, the debian standard
> method:
>
> http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html#s-kernel-d
>ebian
>
> and the classic method:
>
> http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html#s-kernel-c
>lassic
>
> where the first uses a kernel deb package and lots of nice
> debian-make-it-simple utilities, while the second uses the method
> outlined in the documentation distributed with the kernels source.
>
> Is there any reason not to combine the two methods, ie download the
> latest 2.4 from kernel.org (which I want), but use "make-kpkg clean" and
> "make-kpkg kernel_image" (which I like)?
>
> Thanks

Nope, just get the latest source, extract and configure it, then run 'fakeroot
make-kpkg kernel_image' and you'll get a kernel-image...deb file -- you don't
even need to do 'make-kpkg clean' first if you don't want to. I'm happily
doing this for various patchsets against 2.6 and 2.6 mainline on a number of
computers with no problems.

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber