On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:59:31PM +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Cam on 20/07/05 15:17, wrote:
> >try openbox.  You can switch w/ openbox --replace.  It's fully
> >GNOME-compliant so it should be a pretty seamless switch (it was for
> >me).
>
> That's pretty good, but it isn't installing itself as the default window
> manager, and x-windows is still taking 5 times as long to start up.
>
> What part of the config should I be looking at here?

Similar problem here, with complication.

I've just upgraded my woody to a sarge, and can't get X to do anything
useful.  I use gdm, and I have no idea what window manager gdm imposes
on me.  I do know that the window manager uses the wrong screen resolution,
so it's useless.  It's as if the pixels are written into a C-style
two-dimensional array with one height and width, and then displayed
by reading them from a C-tyle array at the same location, but a different
height and witdh.  I can see windows and things, but they've all been skewed
into unusablility.

gdm itself has a perfect login screen, so *something* in the
system knows how to do things right.

I've also installed icewm (my favourite window manager) in the hope
that a *new* window manager might he able to get its defaults right,
but gdm refuses to add it to the list.  I've tried dpkg-reconfigure
on both gdm and icewm, to no effect.  I seem to remember that this worked
just fine on my other sarge system to get gdm to recognise a new window
manager...

Any ideas?

--hendrik