On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 09:32:53AM -0500, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> "book2" so the other thread isn't hijacked.
>
> What are the pros/cons of usin Grub vs Lilo?  Lilo vs Grub?
>
> I have had great success with SystemCommander+PartitionCommander (not
> free and not expensive).  Tried using lilo the other day with no issues.
>   Tried switching over to grub with apt-get install grub and had to
> redo the harddrive.
"redo the harddrive"
i hope you dont mean reinstall? however much you fsck the bootsector you
should still be able to boot from a floppy and sort it?

> Any tips on using grub?
RTM
make sure you have the relevant stage 1,1.5,2
vim /etc/boot/grub/menu.1st (not menu.lst as i thought it was when
trying to seup grub!) and set how you like.
if grub-install doesnt work, use setup from the grub shell.

> Key deciding factor for me is no dependancy on an installed OS that is
> normally under use.  _commander installs in its own 40meg partition at
> the front of the disk.
yeah, you could stick a grub floppy in a windows box and boot windows
from it... wouldnt be much point but it would work.

hugh