On 2005-08-15 10:56:37 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Fiddling with the DPI setting can cause weird font display.

No, this can just cause the font to be slightly larger or smaller.
This can be seen as a zoom factor for the fonts.

> The "correct" solution would be to find out the real value for your
> monitor and resolution.

This doesn't make sense here, where I use the same display on
different monitors with VNC.

> Your fonts may get displayed too large for your taste, but that is
> how they ought to be displayed.

How the fonts are displayed is just a user choice. A different value
of the DPI shouldn't prevent the user from choosing some given bitmap
fonts. I had to find a workaround for this bug.

> > I don't like it very much, due to the font problems and because
> > it doesn't honour some of my xmodmap settings. There are other
> > problems when I want to use it with a shell: it uses the UTF-8
> > encoding in UTF-8 locales (not configurable) and it selects
> > TERM=xterm, so that "tput enacs" fails, though it supports the
> > ACS.
>
> I think you've lost me now but maybe you have luck writing a bugreport.

I wrote one for the xmodmap problems, and there is one for the font
problems. I should probably report the problems upstream.

> > The main advantage over xterm is that it doesn't lose the primary
> > selection as soon as it is no longer visible.
>
> The same is true for xfce4-terminal. But you cannot extend a selection
> with the right mouse button because it opens the context menu.

Yes, ditto with gnome-terminal (I prefer xterm for that); I can
still extend the selection with shift + left click (works with
xfce4-terminal too). Fortunately, I don't have to do this much
often (and I wish mice had a shift button :).

> > > you are problably better off using xce4-terminal.
> >
> > Where can I find it? "apt-file search xce4-terminal" doesn't return
> > anything.
>
> Typo. It's xfce4-terminal, of course.

I've installed it. It seems to be an improved gnome-terminal.
Do you know which $TERM I should use?

Same problems with my xmodmap settings. Perhaps a bug or configuration
problem in GTK+.

> > > Startup time is significantly shorter on my machine and it offers
> > > all the features you are used to from gnome-terminal.
>
> By the way, this may also come from the fact that there is (in most
> cases) only one process for all terminals of a given user. That
> might be a problem in case one of the terminals crashes, but that
> has never occured to me.

Ditto for gnome-terminal (it has different threads, AFAIK).
Under Mac OS X, I use iTerm, which also uses one process,
but it sometimes crashes. :(

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>