On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 06:11:25AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I need to save several versions of the backup on the local disk and be
> able to restore it when system is running.

I had this reference in my links.

    http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

On a related topic -- I understand there's a bunch of a failover
systems available, but I often would like to have a backup machine
that can take over as a primary machine if the original primary
machine fails.

/etc/ has configs for both application level services (Apache, DNS,
etc.) but also has hardware/machine specific settings.

So, I've been thinking of trying a setup where services like Apache
that instead of using /etc/apache they use /etc/services/apache (and
/etc/services/bind, etc.).

Then /etc/services would be a symlink to various different
configurations (e.g. /etc/primary /etc/backup).  Then use rsync to
keep those the same on both machines.

The problem with that is the /etc/init.d/ scripts are hard-wired to
use /etc so I assume an update to an init.d script would overwrite
that setup.

--
Bill Moseley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]