Joe Mc Cool wrote:

Sarge, and with either 2.2 or 2.6 kernels:

at boot up I get a login prompt at the F1 console ok.

After about 10 secs, the screen goes blank.

After another very long delay I get an hour glass in the middle on the screen at F7.

There is another very long delay before I get a KDE login prompt.

while running say:

   startx -- :1 vt8

for a very long time top reports that XFree86 is consuming over 90% of cpu

running:

   tail -f /var/log/XFree86.1.log

gives:

(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC Level none
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 0 sec.

very long delay here

(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC read successfully
(II) S3VIRGE(0): Manufacturer: @@@  Model: 0  Serial#: 0
etc
and away it goes