On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Vikki Roemer wrote:

> Heh, yeah, *should*.  But it's a cheap, sorry MB with a cheap, sorry bios,
> so it doesn't.

you can also do what the bios should have been doing by using
lmsensors and check the cpu temp and dead fans with lmsensors

you can check the disk temp with hdtemp

and when those sensors say you got problems... you(aka cron) run
"shutdown now"

> For the record: never buy cheap hardware, especially Elite
> Group motherboards.

every manufacturer makes [EMAIL PROTECTED] every once in a while, and some
vendors are worst than others ... and EGS is one of them to avoid
in general as are 10 other manufacturers ...

        - i typically buy intel, tyan nowdays
        and 2nd choice is via for mini-itx,
        which means there's not much choice either, so the customer
        picks their favorite vendor and they get to run up their
        "time to debug bills" as they watch why its a bad choice for
        their favorite tom-dick-n-harry distro

        - i just spent 4hrs debugging a bad mb ( brand new )
        and wound up tossing 3 of um ... and another no-name-brand
        mb worked fine the first time with the same cpu/mem/disk

        - dell is good [EMAIL PROTECTED] .. tons of $$$ to make on that junk
        which is probably the worst of the bunch due to their
        customized this [EMAIL PROTECTED]@ and dellized  that [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                - you can't give me dell pc to use, but i'll take
                all your customers that has dell and compaqs

- cheap is okay .. as long as you know why you got it and
  if you used it before from that particular store
        - i buy shit from 1 primary vendor ( distributor which
        requires a reseller permit, and the rest of misc junk from
        local stores and worst case, buy non-critical parts at fries

        - fries has too many gorrilla tossing boxes/cases of disk
        drives onto the shelf or pallet ... you ahve about 25% failure
        rate within the year and about 75% chance the rebate check
        never shows up ( a scam worst than the nigerian spam scam )

c ya
alvin