Yuri Gorshkov wrote:

Daniel L. Miller wrote:

Great! So now some people say Realtek sucks, others say it's better. What's a poor admin to do?

Don't flame, just stick with the 3COM and their 3C905... Works well and
it's robust (although 3COM had some problems with Cisco switches, be
warned!).

P.S. Realtek relly sucks more than a Microsoft vacuum cleaner ever
sucked ;-).
How much dirt would a MVC suck if a MVC could suck dirt?

You see before you the typings of a frazzled and frustrated admin.

After reviewing the many responses to my initial question, I decided to invest in a small quantity of 3com boards. Always ready to spend top dollar - I bought a boxful on Ebay, they turned out to be the 3c905c "tornado" model - which I understand is at least acceptable.

Powered down the firewall, took advantage of the downtime to do some serious vacuuming (non-microsoft cleaning product), ripped out my Netgear & Intel cards, and carefully inserted a pair of 3com's. Powered back up - Debian auto-detects my cards, life is good.

Or so I thought . . .

I've just spent the last three hours trying to get my firewall functional again. From the firewall machine, I could reach the Internet, and I could reach my LAN - but packets would not forward through. At all. No way.

At some point, between the reboots, cursing, ifup/down, modprobe, more reboots, and general depression at the increasingly Microsoft-like behaviour of my vaunted Debian Linux firewall - it magically started working again.

Now, I'm REASONABLY certain that whatever little bug got inside has now been squished and the system will continue to work flawlessly as it used to. I just wish I knew what the [EMAIL PROTECTED]@!$ happened!

--
Daniel