On 8/23/05, Kent West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bryan Donlan wrote:
>
> >On 8/23/05, Kent West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>It's my understanding that because of their high-priority nature,
> >>security updates go into Stable even before they sometimes make it into
> >>Testing (or perhaps, Unstable?). So a Testing system with the stable
> >>security line is more likely to get patched more quickly than waiting
> >>for the normal influx of packages into Testing.
> >>
> >>My understanding may very well be amiss, however.
> >>

> >No.
> >
> "No" to "...my understanding..." or "No" to "My understanding may very
> well be amiss..."?
>
> > Say that stable has foobar version 1.0.4-1, and testing has foobar 1.0.5-1.
> >
> >Now there's a security fix. Stable-security gets 1.0.4-1sarge1 or
> >similar, unstable gets 1.0.5-2. However, testing still has 1.0.5-1,
> >which is newer than 1.0.4-1sarge1. It will be at least two days until
> >the unstable fix gets into testing.
> >

> Say that stable has foobar version 1.0.4-1, and testing also still has
> foobar 1.0.4-1.
>
> Now there's a security fix. Stable-security gets 1.0.4-1sarge1 or
> similar, unstable gets 1.0.5-0. Testing still has 1.0.4-1, which is
> older than 1.0.4-1sarge1. It will be at least two days until the
> unstable fix gets into testing.
>
> In your case, if the 1.0.5-1 version in Testing does not have the
> security issue (which is doubtful), all is fine for those two days. I'm
> unclear if you're saying you've got two days of vulnerability, or if
> you're saying that Testing's newer version than Stable-security's
> mitigates those two days of vulnerability.

Testing's newer version means the security fix is considered an older
version, so it won't auto-upgrade. If the version in testing is
vulnerable, you either have to manually downgrade to stable-security,
or manually upgrade to unstable.

> I don't think leaving the Security line at stable hurts anything, and I
> think it makes sense to leave it there.

It doesn't hurt anything, no, but it won't help in many cases, except
perhaps at the start of a release cycle.