On 8/26/05, Jan T. Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 08:52:10PM -0500, Grant Thomas wrote:
> > I have recently installed Etch onto my computer, an ST20G5 from
> > shuttle. I am using a SATA HD, which is on a ULI SATA controller.
> > I am able to install to the hard-drive after I load the module
> > manually in the installer via modprobe. Everything installs fine, but
> > I have a problem on boot:
> >
> > When the initrd image tries to pivot_root, kernel panic happens
> > because it can't read the root fs correctly, and I think it is because
> > the SATA module isnt loaded by the initrd.
>
> You could check this by running (after having booted successfully,
> perhaps from another disk or a CD etc.)
>
>     mount -t cramfs -o loop <your initrd image file> /mnt
>
> and then checking whether the modules in question are really absent.

OK, I am at work now, but using the cramfs mount option, my initrd
image does mount correctly.
If I mount the initrd image, and make changes, then unmount it, will
it still be a working image?
Asuming that the sata module is not there, and I am able to add it to
the correct directory, how would I manage to get it to load the module
correctly?
Would I just insert a line of sata_uli in the equivelant of /etc/modules?
If so, which file would that be?

> Best regards, Jan
>
> P.S.: For the sake of knowing it, I'd still like to know how / whether
> it is possible to control the initrd assembly process of make-kpkg in
> order to get certain modules included -- I'm still puzzled by the fact
> that the modules were included in the initrd image in
> linux-image-2.6.12-1-686.deb but not in the initrd image in the
> package which I made from the Debian 2.6.12 kernel sources using
> make-kpkg...

Thanks for the help, hopefully this will be the last step to finally
getting my machine going on my SATA drive.