On Friday 06 June 2003 10:15 am, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I've been trying to get my printer working again and it does not want to
> print pages. I can print a "test page" from cups (through a web browser)
> but I couldn't print any actual pages because "lpr" didn't want
> to/couldn't read my /etc/printcap file.
>
> The printcap file was not updated by cupsys. So I decided to install
> printtool to see if it would fix things. Of course it didn't, so now I'm
> trying to go back to cupsys. I get the following error message though:
>
> debian:/home/emmajane# apt-get install cupsys
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   debconf debconf-utils debhelper gcc-3.3-base gettext gs-esp
> libcupsimage2
>   libcupsys2 libdb3 libgcc1 libgcrypt1 libgimpprint1 libgnutls5 liblzo1
>   libopencdk4 libpam-modules libpam0g libpopt0 libstdc++5 libtasn1-0
> passwd
>   po-debconf
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   cupsys-pstoraster lpr-ppd modconf pppoeconf whiptail
>   cupsys gcc-3.3-base gettext gs-esp libcupsimage2 libgcc1 libgcrypt1
>   libgnutls5 liblzo1 libopencdk4 libstdc++5 libtasn1-0 po-debconf
> 10 packages upgraded, 13 newly installed, 5 to remove and 156  not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/8865kB of archives. After unpacking 14.3MB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> package libpam-modules due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often
> bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak
> option.
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libpam-modules
>

> So....I guess I need to "active the APT::Force-LoopBreak"? Or something?
> I tried apt-get remove libpam-modules but aborted that pretty quickly
> when I saw what it was going to remove.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Emma Jane Hogbin
> [[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]

The best success I think is having 'only' cups installed, no LPR stuff
installed. From your account it seems cups worked from the browser tool but
it appears you had LPR stuff installed at the same time. Start fresh,
purge all printing systems except cups. It looks like you are not using
Woody so I can't say how to fix the conflicts issue.

Cups uses a different printcap file, /etc/printcap.cups. I
- --
Greg Madden
Debian GNU/Linux