On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:45:37 -0600 Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:

Please don't Cc: me on list mail. Just reply to the list, I'll be sure to
read it :)

> Carlos Sousa wrote:
> > On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:34:28 -0600 Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:
> >
> >>Hello all,
> >>   I have been trying to upgrade a testing system for about 2 weeks now.
> <snip>
> > The problem went away when I uninstalled kdebase-audiolibs. You'll lose
> > packages kde (virtual, no harm done) and kdebase-dev (development, not
> > needed for kde usage).
> <snip>
> I read the bug report. It was interesting, but I only saw your bug
> filed, I couldn't see the solution if it was there. If I did miss it,
> please forgive my inability to see and post it here please.

That's it, there are no further postings to the bug.

> Here is what
> I did by interpreting what you said about removing kdebase-audiolibs...
>
> I tried to uninstall kdebase-audiolibs with #apt-get remove
> kdebase-audiolibs , but it gave the following error:
> # apt-get remove kdebase-audiolibs
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>    kde: Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed or
>                  kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
> E: Sorry, broken packages

Should have warned you about this and advise you to use dpkg. Sorry :(

> Then I tried many combinations of forcing it to do it like apt-get
> remove -m kdebase-audiolibs, but to no avail.
>
> Then I read up some more in $man apt-get and it suggested manually
> uninstalling using dpkg in extreme cases. So I used dpkg, but it would
> not let me do it right away. So I used dpkg with forcing :
> #dpkg --remove --force-all kdebase-audiolibs
> dpkg: kdebase-audiolibs: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
> request:
>   kde depends on kdebase-audiolibs | kdebase3-audiolibs; however:
>    Package kdebase-audiolibs is to be removed.
>    Package kdebase3-audiolibs is not installed.
> (Reading database ... 76702 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing kdebase-audiolibs ...
>
> Then when I try to an apt-get dist-upgrade, it installs
> kdebase-audiolibs again and nothing else!!!

Don't fight the package management. As long as kde and kdebase-dev are
on the system, apt will try to satisfy its dependencies. Just try:

   dpkg --remove kdebase-audiolibs kde kdebase-dev

and you should be ok.

> What is the command/route that you used to get rid of kdebase-audiolibs
> in such a way as to solve the problem (apt-get remove -fm, dpkg --force
> etc....) ? And once you got it to uninstall, which command fixed things
> back to normal?

Try the above, you should be fine.

Good luck.

--