On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:08:40 +0100
jim biri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>  Wonder if anyone can help. I've got a new DELL Inspiron 6000 that I'd
>  like to install SARGE 3.1 on. SARGE installer can't detect the h/d.

If I recall, the Inspiron 6000 uses a SATA drive which the 2.6.8 kernel
on the Sarge installer has trouble with. However, I have been able to get
the 2.4 kernel in the installer to see some SATA drives. Which kernel are
you using to install with?

I think you will need to do a standard install with the 2.4 kernel and then
build a custom 2.6.12 kernel. This isn't so bad, since you would need to
build a newer 2.6 kernel to get ACPI and WiFi working anyway.

--
Bill Thompson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]