On lørdag 10 september 2005, 12:52, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> off your back?

Eh, right!

> You did not get any recommendations. Your reason for purchase is
> appealing. But the price differences are huge.

Yep, I didn't get any very specific recommendations, but a lot of good
information, many thanks to all respondents, so...

> What are you going to do?

I haven't actually decided. However, I'm still evaluating three options.
The first is a dirt cheap Sunsway Sil 3112-based card, i.e. fakeraid.
Sunsway produces mostly low-end stuff, but I'm very satisfied with the
(two) USB2+FireWire card I have from them, so, well, I still consider
that possibility.

The second option is a 3ware 8006-2PL, which seems excellently supported
and has good reviews from everywhere. Right now, this is actually what
I find most appealing. However, the only local store that I've heard
favourable things about doesn't have it in stock right now, will get in
three weeks, which gives me more time to think.

The third option is to buy a SATA non-RAID controller and run SW RAID
entirely based on that.

There are some high-endish cards that support expansion and level
migrating, notably a HighPoint card. However, these are not well
supported it turns out, and so it isn't very appealing right now. Also,
my CPU and mobo is now 4 years old, and it may soon need an upgrade,
future extensibility might not be such a big concern after all.

The 3ware solution is rather expensive, but not scarily so, that's the
main downside to it, and of course, the concern "what if the card
breaks", a situation which isn't quite clear.

Further advices are still appreciated! :-)

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer