On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 07:05 -0400, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
> Thinking about getting a used laptop and loading sarge into it.  I was
> wondering what specs I need to look for

It really depends on what sort of performance you're looking for.  I
bought a secondhand Compaq Armada m700:  Pentium-III 1ghz, 256MB RAM,
20GB disc, ATi graphics, 1024x768 display, 100mbit network and lucent
56k modem.  It cost me the equivalent of about $500 USD, but you'd
probably get it a lot cheaper if you're in the US/Canada or UK/Europe.

I rand Sarge, Etch and later Sid on it without any problems.  It's a
very sturdy notebook, battery life is very good (around 4:30-5:00) and
performance is strong too.

The only issue I had was getting the lucent driver installed (ltmodem) -
there is a debian package, but it's executing a script that hangs, and I
couldn't around that.  But that was probably just a mix of incompetence
and impatience on my side, because I'm running SUSE 9.3 on it now, and
it sorted out the modem all by itself - works like a bomb!

Hans