'anybody can log in from anywhere' with nis/ldap is just plain FUD.

NIS and LDAP are designed to do this, they do it (reasonably) well.

scping over password and shadow is an ugly hack and will bite you
if you create users on a regular basis. Maintenance is a pain.
You also have a single 'master copy' which is a Bad Thing if
you want any sort of resilience.