On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 07:02:42AM +0500, Fritz Brown wrote:
> OK, everybody, THANKS!  I finally got it installed without it asking me for
> all the extra packages (which is where the overwhelming part came in).  Now,
> the only thing is I don't know how to start the GUI.  I took most of the
> default settings (this is Woody, BTW - may try to get Sarge a little later)
> in the installer, and it comes up to a command line.  Do I need to run apt to
> find a GUI and install it?

  Let me recommend that you install sarge *soon*. I feel like an
echo -- others have recommended sarge, too.

 * It's easier to install sarge than woody.

 * it's easier to install sarge than to upgrade woody -- but if you have
become invested in woody with a lot of configuration and files and stuff
you'll pretty well have to upgrade instead of reinstall.
(I had a hard time upgrading one of my woody systems to sarge -- even
thought the woody system took only abnout two gigabytes (I had a lot of
stuff installed) and the sarge system wasn't much bigger, it seemed to
need over two extra gigabytes temporarily during the upgrade)

 * It will be supported by security opgrades (to prevent malicious
outsiders from breaking in to your system) much longer than woody.

 * there's more, and more up-to-date software in sarge.

If you have a decent net connexion, you only need one CD to install
sarge -- the sarge net-install CD.  Without the net, you probably
have a use for only the first three or four CDs out of maybe 13(?)
total-- the packages are allocated to CDs in order or popularity.
Actually, you can install sarge with only its first CD and then decide
where to go from there.

-- hendrik