On Monday 26 September 2005 2:02, Roby wrote:
> Jeremy Merritt wrote:
> > I tried that and it seemed to work. When I ran
> > 'grub-install /dev/hda5' it reported 'no errors' and
> > seemed to execute successfully. However, upon reboot,
> > I am back to XP bootup. Is there another step that I
> > need to include?
> >
> > Steps so far:
> >
> > 1. Boot up with live CD (Knoppix)
> > 2. Activate shell and go root
> > 3. Mount /dev/hda5 as /mnt/hda5
> > 4. chroot /mnt/hda5 /bin/bash
> > 5. grub-install /dev/hda5

almost.
1) Boot Knoppix
2) mount /dev/hdg2 to /mnt/hdg2 (this is /)
3) chroot ./hdg2
4) mount all linux partitions from the /etc/fstab from the chroot
5) make backup of /boot/grub
6) grub-install /dev/hda1

> (snip)
>
> The MBR did not get updated: still points to XP.  I wonder whether live
> Knoppix allows write access to the MBR.

Sorry if I'm being an idiot here but, if it didn't install the MBR, then how
is it I'm now getting the grub menu on boot rather than the Windows boot
loader list of OSs?

Just want to get things correct in my head before trying any of this. I don't
want to lose the 1 working OS I have atm :)

Thanks,
Andy