On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:06:04AM +1100, Wei Hu wrote:
> Hi, sorry for this simple question.
>
> I am setting up cron jobs in Debian box, the wget program can start
> successfully, but the bittorrent client azureus can not start. Can
> anyone please tell me what the problem is?
>
> $: crontab -l
> 10 2 * * * wget www.debian.com
> 10 2 * * * /home/user/Desktop/azureus/azureus
>
> By the way, if I use $: /home/user/Desktop/azureus/azureus at command
> line, the azureus works well.
>
> Using at command:
>          $: echo "/home/user/Desktop/azureus/azures" | at 2:10
> also failed.
>
> However, if I use the following command:
>          $: echo "wget www.debian.com" | at 2:10
> Working well.
>
> azureus is a java Bittorrent client, is there some crontab restrictions?

Since azureues has to run in an Xsession, you can't run it from the
crontab or at.  The reason is that All x clients require that the
DISPLAY variable be set in the environment.  Since this is not set
unless you log in to an actual Xsession (or you use ssh with port
forwarding, or some other such arrangement), running it from cron or at
is probably not possible.

Once possible solution is start up a "dummy" display and then let your
cron job display to that one, either by allowing anyone to display to
the "dummy" display or by setting up the magic cookie, or whatever other
mechanism you choose.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez