--- jpg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Migrating from lpr to cups, and can't get past square 1.
>
> Have read reams of docs
> Downloaded latest bits off of sourceforge.
> Gotten ppd for the remote printer.
>
> My setup is this:
>
>  -----------        --------------------
> -------------------------
> | Debian wS |  ->  | HP-UX Print Server |  ->  / Networked HP
> LasterJet /
>  -----------        --------------------
> -------------------------
>
> The GUI gnome-cups-add and gnome-cups-manager don't seem to be unable
> to set
> up remote printing via a remote print server.
>
> Tried direct with lpadmin, however every command fails with can't
> communicate with server I supply after the -h option.
>
> Anybody else done this?
>
> Firm frowns on connecting directly to the network printers, therefore
> need
> to go through print server?

In the files /etc/cups/cupsd.conf files on the server and workstations
respectively, I have the following lines:

BrowseAllow From 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
(server)

BrowsePoll 192.168.0.2:631
(workstation)

My local network is 192.168.0.0/24 and the machine with the printer
connected is 192.168.0.2.  I have yet to find a way to configure these
other than editing the config files themselves.

Hope this helps,

Joe