Mark Crean wrote:
> I think the point is that just installing the stuff is only half the
> story. It's like providing the raw ingredients for a meal. They still
> have to be prepared and cooked. Some folks lack the time and perhaps the
> skills for that, which is where the desktop-friendly distros come in.
> The only two I know well (apart from Debian) are Ubuntu and SUSE and
> it's clear they make 101 tweaks around the place to offer what they
> consider to be a good "user experience", including those "your updates
> are now read apps", firewalls (in the case of SUSE), more attention to
> help files, more eyecandy, package selections heavily biased towards
> click-and-go apps and all the rest. No doubt Debian could do something
> similar and roll it up into a new task selection, but it would be a
> pretty huge amount of work, I would guess. So yes, the current Debian
> installer is darn nice, but for many desktop users that's not the only
> thing.

I know of several people[1] who have already done a lot of work in this
area on Debian. It's illistrative that this wiki page changed from a
huge list of things that needed to be done manually before the sarge
release to "it just works (plus entirely too much info about setting up
a multiuser desktop system)" after the sarge release:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopHowTo

--
see shy jo

[1] myself included