On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> Matt Price wrote:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >Looking for a simple spam-control howto.  I have tried setting up
> >bogofilter & spamassassin in the past & I've always run into trouble;
> >the process sometimes seems incredibly complex.

spam howto ... gazillion options ...
        http://Linux-Sec.net/Mail/AntiSpam

what is the critiria...
        - no false positive allowed ?? in which case, "guessing"
        if it is a filter based on scores probably will not work

        - some spam filters work better for say nigerian spam and porno
        spam but will bomb on say insurance spam and medical spam

        - what is your definition of spam ... which will depend
        on if its a single user or corp mail server where catalogues
        from dell is spam to you but not spam to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        - who are you sending/receiving emails from will also dictate
        which spam filter you will need to be using

        - use different accounts for different purposes which will
        eliminate more than 1/2 or all of your spams on the other accts
        ( it's easier to deal with spam on one acct than on all accts )

simple solution ...
        - use the mta's built in antispam provisions ...
        ( a couple minuts to tweek/enable it ..

        - look at the examples ... ( from google/yahoo )

        - this can get rid of 90% - 99% of your spams
        when you configured the built in filters properly
        which is non-trivial for your environment

messy solutions
        - use any random spam filters from random.xyz.com
        - take your time to figure things out to see how it works
        - for the amt of time spent, its NOT worth the extra
          5% or so of additional antispam filter it added
          vs the generic spam filters that is a matter of minutes
          to configure

let-them-do-it-for-me
        - you get what you let them do or not do
        - you're stuck with their filters

- there is no simple answer for "the spam solution" since it will
  be different for everybody

- for me, one false positive ( a real email flagged as spam ) is
  completely unacceptable on work accounts

c ya
alvin