On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 22:41 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 09:40:32AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 22:43 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
>
> > > So it's inefficent.  So what?
> >
> > Because in 6 months or a year, when the size of that quick-and-dirty
> > DB grows bigger than expected, and becomes vital to the organization
> > (or subset thereof), they suddenly realize that it doesn't scale
> > and/or is full of bad data.
>
> And you know that this will happen in every case, of course.
>
> And this hurts the developer that gets hired to produce the new database
> how?

That's if a developer is hired to fix it.  "They" might just decide
to limp along with it like it is.

Your original point, though, was inefficiency, and hiring a DB
developer to fix a borken app is definitely less efficient than
doing it right in the 1st place.

> > Don't ask me to figure out HR regulations, and I won't ask you to
> > design databases.
>
> Don't assume it's impossible to do both well, and I won't laugh in your
> face.

"Impossible" is a 'big' word.  I'm sure there are some people who
are expert in both HR regulations and DB design and implementation.

Darn few, though, and probably work for HR outsourcing firms.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Rightly hating violence, [pacifists] do not wish to recognise
that it is integral to modern society and that their own fine
feelings and noble attitudes are all the fruit of injustice
backed up by force. They do not want to learn where their incomes
come from."
George Orwell