On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Basajaun wrote:
> Compiling the kernel oneself is not for the light-hearted :^) In
> theory, it is easy if you follow the instructions. In practice, is
> looking for trouble, unless you know what you are doing. I don't want
> to disencourage learning and getting experience, but I suggest that you
> use a prepackaged kernel image, instead.

Or, if you want to compile from source your own kernel, please use a
packaged kernel *source*.  Debian's has a lot of patches in it.  Same for
RedHat/Fedora, etc.  Refer to the kernel-tree-<version> packages in Debian
unstable and testing.

AND, install and learn to use the kernel-package package, and make-kpkg
utility.  It will make your life a lot easier.

  Henrique Holschuh