Yuri Gorshkov wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

The only dialup modem to get is an external USRobotics 56K modem. It
hooks up to your serial port and is always recognized w/o driver needs.
I will never ever get another modem. I also live where there is no
broadband.
Hey, believe me... The best modem you can buy is the old Courier V.EVR
and 25MHz clock speed. They're doing great even on terrible lines, have
HST (as the last option) and they're reliable. You may also try an
unofficial firmware if you have a bad line. Here in Russia we use ID_SDL
and it performs great (but is almost unknown by non-Russian users...).
Also we have very bad lines here sometimes... so... stick with USR (or
Paradyne... if you want to pay $1000 for a dial-up modem ;))

Just get a Maestro Woomera.

It's based on a Rockwell 56K chip, so it's recognised during install, and has many other features including self-adjusting resistance level to compensate for line fluctuations. In five years, in a rural setting with wild line fluctuations, I've never had a connection drop at my end.