Ed Paris said...
> I am new to the Linux world and have a few questions.  I currently have a
> small (miniscule) consulting group that needs a system that can mimic our
> web hosting service provider so we can further develop our site.  We do not
> currently intend to have this system as a web server. We have a 1999 Gateway
> Pentium III system with the following characteristics:
> *     320 MB of RAM
> *     10 GB Western Digital hard drive
> *     Promise Ultra ATA/66 hard drive controller
> *     CD/DVD ROM optical disk (it cannot write to disk)
> *     D-LINK DFE-530TX+ Ethernet card
> *     Windows XP
>
> We are planning to:
> *     Replace the 10 GB drive with a Western Digital Caviar 40 GB Ultra
> ATA/100 hard drive
> *     Replace the Ultra/66 controller with a Promise Ultra ATA/100 TX2
> controller that is backward compatible to our motherboard
> *     Replace the CD/DVD ROM optical disk with an AOpen COM5232
> combination CD-RW/DVD ROM drive
> *     Keep the same Ethernet card
> *     Run Debian 3.1 (sarge), Apache 1.3, PHP 4.1.1, and MySQL 4.0
>
> Does any of this approach make sense to those of you who know Debian?

Should be fine. Rather than replace the drive, you might as well keep
the old one; always handy for backups, etc. Not sure whether you need to
change the controller, but perhaps there are technical reasons for doing
so.

> Would you advise me to run GNOME or KDE instead of staying with BASH?

You can do all three, if you like. ssh is the traditional way to admin a
server, but you might want to run a remote KDE/Gnome session on it, if
that's what you are more comfortable with. I often do the latter on a
few headless boxes that are locked away in a cold dark room. This
behaviour can cause seizures in the "command line or die" brigade, so
always wear dark glasses when doing so.

--
Best,
Marc