On Nov 25 2005, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:44:50AM -0200, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > I would think that something like jigdo or a torrent would be more
> > helpful for the community, of course.
>
> Jigdo is only relevant if the archive is still around to build images
> from easily I think.

Of course, but it seems that at least planetmirror has it archived, IIRC
from other posts.

> > This way, the person providing the "ISO" would not really have to cope
> > with the full upload of the ISO: in the case of jigdo, much smaller
> > files would be sufficient.
>
> Understood. Where is all this interest in really old versions of
> Debian coming from? At this rate I'll bring a 386 with 4M to the next
> Linux Expo in London _because I can_ :)

Heh, it's cool to have old hardware running well. :-) And not only that,
but it is also a good way of "benchmarking" the current programs (say,
glibc against libc4 or libc5).

And building a (statically built, as you woulnd't probably want to mess
with installation of module-init-tools in such an old distribution) 2.6
kernel for such a beast would be nicem, if possible. :-)

It's all a good learning exercise, to know the limits of our software
and hardware. :-)

Such pet projects are indeed quite cool, IMVHO. :-) For instance, I have
an old PowerMac 8500/180MP here where, with a slow (SCSI) disk, but
still alive. :-)

Official support from its original manufacturer for such beast has ended
quite some ago, but it works perfectly with sarge, for instance. :-)

Regards, Rogério.

--
Rogério Brito : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito
Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/