On Friday 25 November 2005 04:15 pm, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Andy Streich wrote:
> > What's being "defended" in the above?  Is it bodily integrity, personal
> > space, property (whose definition?), a contract, ...?
>
>     Short answer:  Well, you'll just have to read it, won't you?
>
>     Longer answer:  One's posessions including one's self.  Whose
> definition of property?  There some alternate definition other than
> personal which would apply here?

Steve, I guess you are coming from a libertarian point of view. (If you are
not, my comments might not apply.)

To me libertarianism seems extremely incomplete both as a philosophy and an
economy model.  Assuming property is a well-defined term is a case in point.
I have a stream running across my land.  Is the water in my property?  Can I
use it all up and let my downstream neighbor do without?  I wouldn't be too
happy about by upstream neighbor doing that to me.

The same applies to all environmental issues.  Who owns the air over my house?
Is the San Francisco bay area out of line when it limits fireplaces in new
homes because of air quality issues?  I'm not very happy with people who have
big vehicles they don't need.  That's the air I breathe and ground water I
end up drinking that is being needlessly polluted.

Andy