On Saturday 10 December 2005 01:42 pm, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:

> >>Interesting, what happens when you run `grep HIGHMEM
> >>/boot/config-<kernel version` and also `uname -a`?
> >>
> >>-Roberto
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:root$ grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386
> > CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
> > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set'
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:thresh]$ uname -a
> > Linux threshnet 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Thu May 19 17:40:50 JST 2005 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > Hal
>
> You can't get more than about 900 MB of accessible RAM with that kernel.
>  I'm sorry for not being clear, but I think that the stock Debian
> kernels were 4 GB enabled starting with 2.6.11.  So, you would need to
> be using a kernel from Etch or Sid.  Alternatively, you can roll your own.
>
> -Roberto

Arrggghhh!  (Not at you -- just at the thought of rolling my own kernel -- for
some reason, I have *never* gotten a kernel I compiled to work properly!)

Okay.  I've forgotten how, but it's just a little Googling or some man pages
to remember how to grab a package from Etch on a Sarge system.  But that's
something I can handle -- however, if I start using a kernel from Etch or
Sid, will that create any kind of dependency issues?  This is a production
box, and I want to keep it stable so I don't have to worry about maintaining
it.

Thanks!

Hal