In any case, I think anyway that update-grub could not work from
Windows, since it's a Linux program, right?

I was wondering about that myself. I thought it best to at least try it, though. Not much success since I can't even find it, though....

You should be able to do anything you need from the Grub prompt,
though.  That's one of the main benefits of grub, I though.

My thoughts as well. The problem is that I do not know what to run. I tried c and then tab to see my options: nothing looks terribly promising.

I did write down what it says after I boot in to Linux and directly after it says unloading kernel:

bin/cat: /sys/block/hda/dev: no such file or directory

Then it says some thing like waiting for 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 seconds (it does all four in that order) for file to appear.

It goes on to say that it couldn't find it and that this is a debugging opportunity: I have but to type ^D. It then says on the next line some thing about terminating jobs (some thing to that effect) gives a # on the next line and a blinking cursor which I took to be where I should enter ^D. Nothing happens. It appears rather stuck, though the cursor continues to blink.

What do you make of this? Is it worthy of a new thread?

Thanks.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.