Alex Malinovich wrote:
> This is a good point. But this is also not a feature specific to RAR, as
> you point out. Zip archives, among others, can do this as well.

    But you weren't talking zip.  'sides, not that zip is any freer than RAR,
at least not to my knowledge.  Feel free to point out if I am wrong.

> Yes, but CRC checks on packets of data (a few kilobytes at a time) are
> much different than a checksum on a 10, 20, or 50 MB archive,

     But the checksums we're referring to are on a per file basis inside the
archive itself; not on the entire archive.  *Your* checksum with md5sum is
applied against the entire archive or, at smallest, a volume of the archive.

>>(1) the ability to open and extract files from previously created RAR
>>format archives

> (1) unrar-free would do this as well

    No.  As mentioned in this conversation unrar-free does not work on rar
archives made with rar >= 3.0.

> However, the original question referred to how to archive a large amount
> of data and split it into pieces for transferring to someone else.

    Actually the original question was what free alternatives *for RAR* there
were.  Check the archives, Alex.