On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 06:06:09PM -0600, Seth Goodman wrote:

> That wouldn't surprise me.  If someone violates your patent and you fail
> to defend it in any meaningful way,  you are considered to have
> abandoned the patent and it becomes effectively void.  Defending it can
> be as simple as sending an infringing party a letter demanding that they
> cease and desist from infringing on the patent.

That's trademark.  Patents are not invalidated by lack of defense.

See, for instance,

        http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/2100_2134.htm

My own understanding of this issue comes from Gary Shaw (Assistant Dean,
Touro Law School).
--
Carl Fink                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.